On the 8th and 9th of November, the Art House at the University of Worcester is hosting the Tenth International Illustration Research Symposium, ‘Illustrating Mental Health’.
Keynote speakers are Alexandra Coulter, Director of Arts & Health South West, and the psychoanalyst and writer Anouchka Grose. Emma Lazenby of ForMed films will also talking about her work for the health sector. There are panels of speakers talking about the following:-
- Illustration and Co-Production
- Using Illustration to Understand Others’ Experiences
- Sketchbooks / Practice as Therapy
- Maternity, Loss and Illustration
- Illustrating Lived Experiences of Mental Illness
- Illustrators working in Arts and Health
- Visual Culture: Images of Mental Health in Circulation
- Building Resilience: Pedagogy & Wellbeing
- Visualising the Intangible
- Exploring Mental Health Through Making Comics and Zines
We have some exciting workshops running over the two days from illustrators Tonka Uzu, Eva Eland, Laura Weston, Isobel Harvey Smith and educationalists Jhinuk Sarkar and Amberlee Green.
Alongside this is an exhibition showcasing the work of contemporary illustrators working in this field.
The full speaker programme and link to register can be accessed here:
I hope this is of interest to some of you. There are a limited number of free places for UoW staff and students, which will be allocated on a first come first served basis- please use the registration page and select the UoW staff option.
If you could share the symposium link within your networks, and flag it up to any students that you feel would be interested to attend, I would be very grateful.
I hope to see some of you at the symposium!
Principal Lecturer Illustration